Mojeek wanted to house its servers in a data centre with green credentials. They also wanted to work with a reliable data centre. With 100% uptime, Custodian was the answer; a data centre with efficiency and the environment at its core. The infrastructure and processes minimise all impact on natural resources while optimising efficiencies and achieving unprecedented levels of conservation. The data centre uses five times less energy per kW of IT load compared to the average data centre.
Custodian operates an industry-leading fresh air cooling system which has aided in the data centre winning Green Data Centre accolade at the Datacentre Leaders Awards.
This, along with resilient power and diverse connectivity means the data centres PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness) is 1.2 (annualised). The average data centre is 2.0, which means for every 1kW of IT load, they use another 1kW for electrical losses etc.
PUE is the current metric for measuring a data centres efficiency. With Custodian’s PUE being 1.2, it’s as efficient as you can get without losing any resilience in the process. This is why Custodian are the only colocation facility in the world to show their PUE live online.
The graph below is a live feed of our Kent data centre’s PUE:
Within Custodian’s building and surrounding location, they utilise the following methods of reaching environmental potential:
- Following extensive research, Custodian operates an industry-leading fresh air cooling system, built by our in-house teams. This approach only requires chillers for 5% of the year
- Cold aisle containment system and rack blanking policy, further increasing efficiency levels
- Green SLA gives an upper temperature limit of 26 degrees, well within the operating tolerances of equipment manufacturers whilst allowing the ability to avoid wasting valuable energy to unnecessarily cool the data centre
- LED lighting systems
- Recycled heat output saves 30% of building heating costs
- Location allows cleaner air quality, increasing the lifecycle of filtration equipment
- Favourable outside air temperatures
As a company:
- Custodian staff aim to recycle, reduce and reuse wherever possible
- Targets are set to ensure efficiencies are maximised and environmental impacts are reduced, as well as preventing pollution and minimising consumption of resources
- Use internal procurement audit to examine all company purchases, considering delivery distance and manufacturing processes
- Encourage environmental protection among suppliers and subcontractors
- Comply with applicable environmental legal requirements and incentives
- Act as a responsible member of the local community by supporting charities and members of the area as a whole
- Dedicate time and resources to ensuring that members of the organisation feel valued, respected and encouraged